How do you calculate a car lease payment?
Leasing a car is an art. Added to that complexity is the monthly lease calculation. Not many consumers know that the secret to an excellent lease deal is to negotiate the selling price and then calculate the lease monthly based on that selling price. So when you plan to lease a car, negotiate the price as if you are buying and then use the below auto lease calculator to estimate your lease cost. For BMW, Toyota, Ford, Honda, VW, Audi, Benz, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, GM, Chrysler, Hyundai and all other model cars, enter the MSRP, final negotiated price, title and registration, down payment, sales tax, lease term, interest rate and residual when the lease ends. The calculator will calculate the cap cost (selling price), lease price, residual value, depreciation and lease fees, the monthly payment without taxes and the final monthly payment.
Let’s say the sticker price or MSRP price of a car is $25,000. You negotiated it down to $20,000. See below now how to calculate the monthly lease payment.
1. Say sticker Price of the car + options is $25,000
2. Times the residual value percentage X 0.57% (from Automotive Lease Guide’s Residual Percentage Guide)
3. Equals the residual value = $14,250
4. You negotiated the price to say (net capitalized cost) $20,000
5. Minus the residual (from line 3) – $14,250
6. Equals the depreciation over 36 months = $5,750
7. Depreciation (line 6) divided by term in months ÷ 36
8. Equals the monthly depreciation payment = $160
9. Net capitalized cost (From line 4) $20,000
10. Plus the residual (From line 3) + $14,250
11. Equals = $34,250
12. Times the money factor X 0.00125 (3 percent)
13. Equals money factor (interest) payment portion = $43
14. Monthly depreciation payment (from line 8) $160
15. Plus money factor payment portion (from line 12) + $43
16. Equals bottom-line monthly lease payment = $203
17. To get final monthly number, add the state taxes which is in 7% range.
|Enter Your Car Lease Data:|
|Sticker price of the car (MSRP) including any options($):|
|Residual value percentage (usually between 50% to 60%):|
|Final selling price excluding title and registration($):|
|Title, registration and acquisition fees($):|
|Interest rate on the lease:|
|Number of months of lease:|
|State tax rate:|
|Lease price (Cap cost – minus your down payment):||$|
|Taxes on Depreciation + Interest payment:||$|
|Estimated monthly lease payment (Depreciation + Interest + taxes):||$|